Tuesday, July 27, 2010

God commands that we do good. He commands us to give to the poor. We give to the poor. This is a deed, isn't it? Yes and no. It is good in the sense that our outward act conforms to what God commands. In that sense we do good often. But God also look at the heart. He is concerned about our deepest motivations. For a good deed to pass the standard of God's goodness, it must flow out of a heart that loves God perfectly and loves our neighbour perfectly as well. God evaluate good deeds not from an outward vantage point.

Taken from ,The Holiness of God by RC SPROUL.


Today I want to thank God for showing me more truths from this book that I've been reading. It allows me to have checkpoints in my life to evaluate where I am and how have I performed. Many times, the bible teaches us to do good to others, help others, love my neighbour as myself and etc. After reading this book, I realised that my deepest motivation about doing these things were merely just obeying rules and regulations. Like what if I never do them, will God punish me? Hmmm, there are people looking at me. If I never do them, then maybe God won't answer my prayer. I felt like I'm obliged to do it because it was in exchange for something.

Now I see that the motivation was wrong. Our deepest motivation of doing things should be, because I love God with all my heart, soul, mind.
Like what RC SPROUL puts it, " it must flows out from a heart that loves God perfectly. "
Now at least I know that what comes from the heart is more important because God does not look from the outward vantage point. He really looks at our heart full well. And I think He is probably the only one that knows my heart full well.

No comments:

Post a Comment